28 Jun IT Managed Service Providers (MSPs)- Trends and Challenges
Source: Datto Inc.’s “2017 State of the MSP Report”, based on a survey of nearly 1,200 MSPs in North America.
- 59% of MSP owners are between 35 and 54 years old.
- 21% of MSPs have over $5 million annual revenue, 20% have revenue from $2 million to $5 million, and 59% have revenue under $2 million.
- 27% of MSPs have over 100 customers, 21% of MSPs have 51 to 100 customers, and 52% of MSPs have 50 or less customers.
- 64% of MSPs focus on one or more vertical markets. The top verticals are professional services, manufacturing, construction, and healthcare.
- The top business challenge of MSPs is their marketing and sales effort (lead generation/sales team performance). After that, their biggest challenges are selling backup/data recovery solutions and staffing (recruiting/hiring/training/retaining).
- As MSPs grow, the lack of time and resources challenge their operational efficiency and thus their service consistency tends to suffer.